Your other hobby

Where do I start?
Just getting back into photography after a very long absence, I used to use old medium format and 35mm SLR cameras, even had my own darkroom where I developed and printed all my own black and white stuff. I am not allowed to set it back up again as the chemicals make a bit of a smell so I have just bought myself a half decent bridge camera. I couldn't justify shelling out for a digital SLR and half a dozen lenses never mind a digital MF.

I am seriously into fly fishing, not in stocked waters but in wild hill lochs and rivers that usually take a bit of a hike to get to and a couple of nights camping. Scotland is stuffed full of wee lochs and lochans for people like me that are forever searching out that (all too often) elusive wee and wild broon troot. To go along with that I also tie my own flies, and just like shaving there is always something to spend money on!

I enjoy machining and making things and have almost completed my first sterling powered engine to power a fan on top of my wood burning stove (google sterling powered fan) And of course I am just starting to make custom handles for razors and also make other things like firepistons, fishing priests and am just about to make my first fly reel.

I have an unhealthy obsession with the Yidaki/didjeriduh, I started learning about 10 years ago and am still shite. But I can circular breathe and keep people entertained at parties and braais. If that wasn't enough I have stupidly decided to teach myself the moothie, So far all I can play is Dylans "Blowing in the Wind".
Strangely enough though I have managed to combine the circular breathing from didge with the harmonica which can be pretty interesting and draws a few amazed looks.

There is more, but I think I will leave it there for the moment. Many of you will be starting to think my mind may not be quite in tact and if I go on any further it might just confirm it!!!

daz

I'm a schoolmaster, so I have holidays for hobbies, and can use some of them in my work, even. In no particular order:

I am involved in, and run in some cases, a few car clubs. In fact we're off on a run tomorrow, and then to Normandy next week.

I compete in powerlifting, mostly bench press, and have picked up a couple of national titles and a commonwealth gold. (This is not as impressive as it sounds, trust me. Small pond and all that.) Obviously I spend a fair bit of time training.

I used to be a semi-pro musician (rock guitar/singer). These days it's just a casual thing.

I read a lot. I even still do some mathematics (used to be my living, hence the doctorate). And I go to the cinema about 120 times a year.

Dr Rick said:
I'm a schoolmaster, so I have holidays for hobbies, and can use some of them in my work, even. In no particular order:

I am involved in, and run in some cases, a few car clubs. In fact we're off on a run tomorrow, and then to Normandy next week.

I compete in powerlifting, mostly bench press, and have picked up a couple of national titles and a commonwealth gold. (This is not as impressive as it sounds, trust me. Small pond and all that.) Obviously I spend a fair bit of time training.

I used to be a semi-pro musician (rock guitar/singer). These days it's just a casual thing.

I read a lot. I even still do some mathematics (used to be my living, hence the doctorate). And I go to the cinema about 120 times a year.
Do you still have any of your rock gear? I've still got a Fender Strat, my beloved Les Paul Studio and a Roland Jazz Chorus 120, although it's many years since I trod the boards. :icon_razz:

Yeah, pretty much all of it, including all six of my Ibanez (and both of my JEMs) and my gigging rack (being a child of the eighties), which won't actually fit in my current car and has doubtless lost all of its programming, having not been on for several years...

These days I mostly play unplugged when practising, and most of my performance work is on nylon-string.

For many years Ju Jitsu & traditional Aikido. For the past few years it's been Yang style Tai Chi Chuan. Try to get to the gymn 2 or 3 times a week to remeber the days when I was competing in weightlifting comps. Freestyle wrestled for 10 yrs or so, however that was some years ago.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Collecting pin badges, specifically police vehicle designs.
Bit of walking.
Bit of cycling, ride a Trek hybrid to work.
Bit of music. Own 3 guitars, a ukelele and a couple of mouth organs.

Not really major hobbies, but then shaving's not really a proper hobby for me either.

Dr Rick said:

Quite a few powerlifters go to my gym. Don't know if you'll recognise the names but I think they've won national titles. Very impressive watching a powerlifter train.

Andy Tanner, Craig and Bradley Cutler?

Mountain biking. Although I've given up some of the more extreme gravity-defying exploits of past years, I still enjoy getting out on the trails.

Swimming. Preferably in the sea (I live in Brighton). I love how the sea is different every day – from serene glassy calm, to choppy battle-with-the-elements rough, and everything in between.

Guitar. I used to play in bands in the late 80s/early 90s. Haven't performed on stage in years, but still play at home with my couple of Strats and Vox amp.

Re: RE: Your other hobby

Tall_Paul said:
Quite a few powerlifters go to my gym. Don't know if you'll recognise the names but I think they've won national titles. Very impressive watching a powerlifter train.

Andy Tanner, Craig and Bradley Cutler?

I know Brad Cutler's name, he's active on the strength sports forum I moderate. I've not meet him as we lift in different organisations - he in the BPC, which does not test for drugs or ban their use, and I in the GBPF, which does. It's good that we have the choice.

(I don't mean that he himself uses drugs - he might, I've no idea. Not all BPC lifters do, and it's not cheating if they do, if course.)

Back
Top Bottom