New SE razor - Rocnel

Greetings
I hope I am wrong but I feel the actual whole concept of the razor is flawed. It is simply a DE razor with only one side but not as useful as a DE for that reason. It is not the same as any SE razor because it takes a salon half blade (half a DE blade) and not a thick rigid blade whether that is a GEM, Feather, SE,Injector or Artists club style blade.

I think what you have here is a shavette on a stick with a safety bar and apart from being easier to use I can't see how it has any other advantages over a shavette.

Regards
Dick.
You've never used a Shake Sharp, have you? The Shake Sharp uses DE blades, looks like a vintage SE razor, and shaves like an Injector.

That doesn't invalidate your statement in the least, as this Rocnel SE razor might shave like shit. I'm only saying that just because a razor uses a DE blade in an SE configuration doesn't automatically make it a bad razor.

Since there is a bit of an interest in the SE razor (and no reviews yet of course) I messaged back and forth with Cihan - who has been testing an earlier model of the razor - and he will, if there is an interest, be willing to post his review/impression of the razor (on TSD and TSR) after having used it for some time now. As may tell from his Instagram posts he has a great, diverse experience with a number of razors :)

Note - Cihan is not affiliated with the company so questions about the actual sale of the product should still be directed to Rocnel - he is "just" a wetshaving enthusiast like the rest of it who got a chance to try it out.

Personally, I'd love to read his review/impressions.

Good evening Gentlemen. First of all I would like to thank @Darkbulb for inviting me to join this forum. When Richard first contacted me and we started exchanging messages on Instagram I was still in the middle of my trial run of Rocnel's SE razor. I was a little hesitant to join the forum since I didn't want people to think that I am advertising the razor but Richard told me that he will introduce me and I don't need to worry about it. So here I am and I hope I will be more active in the future.

I will try to write a review this weekend and I shot a video showing how to load the razor and I will also share it. Before writing my review I want to comment on one thing about the price: Yes the price is $25. This might seem a little odd especially when compared to the Rocnel DE razor and to most other Stainless Steel razors. I will pass you the information based on my communication with Murat and my knowledge of manufacturing processes generally.

Rocnel uses class 316 stainless steel. This is the hardest quality and hardest stainless steel but still it is just steel. It is not gold. It is harder to work on compared to 316L stainless steel since you can't do welding processes with 316. 316L is a version of 316 which is easier to work on and possible to do welding on most processes. What really defines the price for these razors is the time CNC machine spends for making one. Rocnel is new in making razors but they have been producing steel parts for many companies for years. They have a very capable machine park (not just one CNC) and state of the art machines. They are not using the cheapest possible CNC in the market for manufacturing. Rocnel DE is a three piece DE razor while the Rocnel SE is a 2 piece razor + the double sided screw. It takes very long to produce a DE razor even in their modern CNC machines. There are too many details. Even the screw on the top plate is not welded but carved from the same block of steel. Rocnel SE is a very simple but clever design. CNC manufactures one in incredibly short time. This is the reason why Rocnel is able to offer it only for $25 + shipping.

I have to also add that the Rocnel SE will come in a simpler wooden box and most likely box will be wax sealed. Rocnel will also offer stands separately. I hope to write my review soon and answer all your questions.

Good evening Gentlemen. First of all I would like to thank @Darkbulb for inviting me to join this forum. When Richard first contacted me and we started exchanging messages on Instagram I was still in the middle of my trial run of Rocnel's SE razor. I was a little hesitant to join the forum since I didn't want people to think that I am advertising the razor but Richard told me that he will introduce me and I don't need to worry about it. So here I am and I hope I will be more active in the future.

I will try to write a review this weekend and I shot a video showing how to load the razor and I will also share it. Before writing my review I want to comment on one thing about the price: Yes the price is $25. This might seem a little odd especially when compared to the Rocnel DE razor and to most other Stainless Steel razors. I will pass you the information based on my communication with Murat and my knowledge of manufacturing processes generally.

Rocnel uses class 316 stainless steel. This is the hardest quality and hardest stainless steel but still it is just steel. It is not gold. It is harder to work on compared to 316L stainless steel since you can't do welding processes with 316. 316L is a version of 316 which is easier to work on and possible to do welding on most processes. What really defines the price for these razors is the time CNC machine spends for making one. Rocnel is new in making razors but they have been producing steel parts for many companies for years. They have a very capable machine park (not just one CNC) and state of the art machines. They are not using the cheapest possible CNC in the market for manufacturing. Rocnel DE is a three piece DE razor while the Rocnel SE is a 2 piece razor + the double sided screw. It takes very long to produce a DE razor even in their modern CNC machines. There are too many details. Even the screw on the top plate is not welded but carved from the same block of steel. Rocnel SE is a very simple but clever design. CNC manufactures one in incredibly short time. This is the reason why Rocnel is able to offer it only for $25 + shipping.

I have to also add that the Rocnel SE will come in a simpler wooden box and most likely box will be wax sealed. Rocnel will also offer stands separately. I hope to write my review soon and answer all your questions.

Great to have you here Cihan.
Really looking forward to read about your thoughts on the razor - and the video showing the blade loading sounds really interesting.

To re-iterate - Cihan is not part of the Rocnel company, just a user like the rest of us.

Welcome!

That's an Interesting one that..I knew it was only a matter of time that an Engineering Company with a High CNC Capacity for producing other products could knock out mass produced stainless razors for Pea Nuts with similar simplistic design like the Mongoose..Stainless is never been cheaper..o_O

That DE that they have designed as well looks seriously high quality...Price Tag aside Folks in Forums have been getting ripped off rotten with ill fated Kick Starter projects & back garden amateurs & chancers with No Engineering or Machining back ground for far far too long..The Bubble has burst I reckon.. :confused:

Billy

Last edited:
I'm firmly in the vintage realm with razors but certainly the more I look at their DE, the more it beckons. Should have called it the Siren! It looks of a higher quality than any of the other high end DE razors. I enjoyed twenty years in precision engineering and I really appreciate the amount of time that it takes to produce such pieces. It's fantastic to see a company with the machinery, put it to a use such as this. Some of the parts I machined through the years were absolute works of art, all to be hidden in the wings of a Boeing or the guts of a cigarette assembly line. It nice to see the engineering in the light of day.

Back
Top Bottom