S.O.T.D. Saturday 11th October to Friday 17th October 2014

I received a message from a chap on Facebook, saying that while my photo's are nice everything looks staged to advertise my product and it sends the message that it's been faked.

He is right, while I do use most of the objects in my SOTD photo's everything else is staged, the wallpaper, the shelf, the lighting and the container of soap I use. When you see a nice round tub of Super Smooth it is a clean prop. I personally shave from tester pots and reject samples that have defects in the plastic box or something I'm not happy with.

Unfortunately my bathroom is so small that I can just get a camera tripod in there but I have a mirror set in the tiles that would reflect everything including the camera, so I have to move everything to a better location. Today's SOTD is what was on the shelve in my bathroom in front of said mirror but placed in front of a copy of some wallpaper from the 1970's. The same wallpaper my Gran had in her bathroom when I was a young lad. So today's SOTD is as true a picture as can be that is pleasing to the eye.

Soap - Wickham SS reject - Old Spice tribute - Spice Trade
Brush - Vintage Bodyshop Boar
Bowl - Steve Woodhead
Razor - Gillette Open Comb
Blade - Gillette 7 O'Clock / Thank you Steve, fly3k
Blade Bank - Recycled Wickham sample container
Aftershave - Richmond - Anglia Perfumery
Cologne - Spanish Leather - Geo F. Trumper

xy19_dde_u2sja.jpg

Not such a great shave with the open comb, think I got the angle and pressure a little wrong and am a bit sore on one side of my neck. Still it's something I have not had for a very long time so it comes as an un-pleasant reminder of how good my shaves are normally.

Bowl lathered three passes and the whole sample of Richmond aftershave splashed on my chops, though it stung like hell on my neck it does smells absolutely top notch. Will be getting a bottle of this for sure.

Please do recycle the Wickhams sample boxes and put them to use as a blade bank.

They are easy to make.

1) Holding an old blade with pliers heat it up, when glowing red, stick it through the box to make an opening for the old blades to go through.
2) Super glue the lid on. job done!

Happy shaving! :D

Thursday October 16, 2014

Thursday October 16, 2014

181996d1413459931-sun-october-12th-sat-october-18th-sotd-16102014.jpg

Lauterjung & Sons Puma 222 Silver

It is now quite a long time since the last time I used my shaving soap. I don't know why, but today I felt like shaving with a lavender soap and I thought my soap was the right one for today's shave. Lavender is one of my favorite aromas, I guess this is also because of my Mediterranean origins, where this lovely and very aromatic bush grows everywhere. Nice smelling shave!​

• Pre-Shave: Myrsol Emulsión
  • Soap: RazorGuy Lavender Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Wilkinson Boar Brush
  • Bowl: Old Barber Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Lauterjung & Sons Puma 222 Silver, 9/16 Full Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd Suave Mentolado Aftershave

pjgh said:
Staged? Pfff ... just look at any SOTD thread, many are staged. So what?

I think he ment beyond belief that I actually used any of the products. I did send him a reply to say that he was right to some degree, but I do use the products. I'm still waiting to see if he replies to that. I didn't really take offence in any way to what he said as he is right, it is staged.

Yes Paul exactly and I am sure you would agree that it is part of the fun of the SOTD photo's right?

Bit of an odd message to recieve, but hey ho! :D

Fox said:
I received a message from a chap on Facebook, saying that while my photo's are nice everything looks staged to advertise my product and it sends the message that it's been faked.

He is right, while I do use most of the objects in my SOTD photo's everything else is staged, the wallpaper, the shelf, the lighting and the container of soap I use. When you see a nice round tub of Super Smooth it is a clean prop. I personally shave from tester pots and reject samples that have defects in the plastic box or something I'm not happy with.

Unfortunately my bathroom is so small that I can just get a camera tripod in there but I have a mirror set in the tiles that would reflect everything including the camera, so I have to move everything to a better location. Today's SOTD is what was on the shelve in my bathroom in front of said mirror but placed in front of a copy of some wallpaper from the 1970's. The same wallpaper my Gran had in her bathroom when I was a young lad. So today's SOTD is as true a picture as can be that is pleasing to the eye.

Soap - Wickham SS reject - Old Spice tribute - Spice Trade
Brush - Vintage Bodyshop Boar
Bowl - Steve Woodhead
Razor - Gillette Open Comb
Blade - Gillette 7 O'Clock / Thank you Steve, fly3k
Blade Bank - Recycled Wickham sample container
Aftershave - Richmond - Anglia Perfumery
Cologne - Spanish Leather - Geo F. Trumper

xy19_dde_u2sja.jpg

Not such a great shave with the open comb, think I got the angle and pressure a little wrong and am a bit sore on one side of my neck. Still it's something I have not had for a very long time so it comes as an un-pleasant reminder of how good my shaves are normally.

Bowl lathered three passes and the whole sample of Richmond aftershave splashed on my chops, though it stung like hell on my neck it does smells absolutely top notch. Will be getting a bottle of this for sure.

Please do recycle the Wickhams sample boxes and put them to use as a blade bank.

They are easy to make.

1) Holding an old blade with pliers heat it up, when glowing red, stick it through the box to make an opening for the old blades to go through.
2) Super glue the lid on. job done!

Happy shaving! :D

Hi Darron,

Curious about the Anglia pharmacy aftershave you mentioned, did you get a sample pack from them ? Tub of Supersmooth bay rum arrived from yourself this morning, looking forward to trying it out tomorrow.

Neilo said:
Hi Darron,

Curious about the Anglia pharmacy aftershave you mentioned, did you get a sample pack from them ? Tub of Supersmooth bay rum arrived from yourself this morning, looking forward to trying it out tomorrow.

Hi Neilo yes I got the 5 samples for £5, inc. postage, they take arround 5 to 6 days to arrive.

Enjoy the Bay Rum! :D

Fox said:
pjgh said:
Staged? Pfff ... just look at any SOTD thread, many are staged. So what?

I think he ment beyond belief that I actually used any of the products. I did send him a reply to say that he was right to some degree, but I do use the products. I'm still waiting to see if he replies to that. I didn't really take offence in any way to what he said as he is right, it is staged.

Yes Paul exactly and I am sure you would agree that it is part of the fun of the SOTD photo's right?

Bit of an odd message to recieve, but hey ho! :D

Isn't that the whole point of SOTD; a stage to show off your shave.

Personally I appreciate the time and effort you take to create a SOTD photo (as I do for everyone else's). So what if you show off your own products that you use; I would. It's a free country and business-wise you'd be daft not to. I'm looking forward to others coming up.

Keep calm and shave on.

Fox said:
Neilo said:
Hi Darron,

Hi Neilo yes I got the 5 samples for £5, inc. postage, they take arround 5 to 6 days to arrive.

Enjoy the Bay Rum!

Thanks for the update Darron.

Thursday morning:

C.V. Heljestrand Eskilstuna, No 31 5/8"
Simpsons The Commodore X3, Best Badger
Simpsons shaving cream, Café Latte
Face Lather
Neil Miller-2.5"Latigo Leather
Thayers Medicated Superhazel with Aloe Vera
Penhaligon's Opus 1870 EdT

SOTD-2014-10-16-2-Alphanutau3AF0gammarhoalphaphiomicron_zps6528896c.jpg

Back