S.O.T.D. Saturday 18th October to Friday 24th october 2014

Shower
Whickam Super Smooth Bay Rum
Semogue 830
Weber Bulldog
Rapira Swedish Super Steel [4]
Groomed Moisturiser
Diesel Only the Brave

Hmmm, lovely slick lather from the Super Smooth, nice scent, but it makes my face tingle! Not sure if its the scent of the ingredients of the cream!
Still, nice shave....

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage rebranded 1964 Macys large silvertip flopmeister that's fine with creams.
Schick F type injector/Schick Plus Platinum (NOS 1990)
Xpec SC
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
no EdT for some reason

This is a new to me blade that I had always heard was a good one but you never know. These 24 year old versions were still being made in the US by Warner-Lambert.

From the first WTG stroke I knew it was gonna be a nice shave. I will use this combo a bunch just to make sure but I am confident the blade is a keeper. See how many shaves I end up getting.

Heh, that's a relief, seeing as how I bought a decent sized amount and may review em after a bit.

BBS results,

Martin

Gillette Fatboy (Setting 7)
Supermax Blue Diamond
T&H No.10 Shave Cream & Balm
Superdrug Forest Fresh AS

From Saturday night - I was running late so I opted for a blade I knew was forgiving of a rushed shave and just went for the one WTG pass. I was tempted to squeeze in a quick 2nd XTG but I dropped my brush on the floor and took it as a sign that it wasn't meant to be. Got a really good close shave though so win/win.

Mr_Smartepants said:
'OC'tober (20 Oct)
Blade: NOS Gillette "Spoiler" SS (2)

True about the blade. I am using the same blade which was called Stainless before Gillette started calling them "The Spoiler." They perform great but they are not inexpensive.

For OCtober 21

15401757638_5f40ac081a_c.jpg

Greetings

Tuesday 21st October 2014
Prep: Shower
Razor: GEM Micromatic Clog-pruf
Blade: GEM Blue Star Carbon
Brush: Semogue OC SE 2012 Mixed
Soap: Klar Kabinett
Aftershave: Brut 33 Musk

Regards
Dick.

DSC05626.JPG

RazoR'OC'k-tober (21 Oct)
Pre: RazoRock/HTGAM mentholated lime soap
Soap: Shannon's Soap "Bay Spice"
Brush: California Redwood Burl handle, 24mm TGN Finest 2-band
Razor: Ikon OSS w/SE handle
Blade: NOS Gillette "Spoiler" SS (3)
First time with Shannon's soaps, very nice slick lather but the scent is faint. Skin post-shave is very smooth and moisturized.
IMG_20141021_065913.jpg

Prep : hot water wash
Soap: MWF
Brush : Semogue 620
Razor : Gillette 7 O'Clock head on the Braveheart handle
Blade : Treet Platinum

Good shave from third time use of blade, been very pleasantly surprised by the treet platinum blade, very smooth but perhaps not quite as sharp as my usual blade the Polsilver Iradium.

Have a good Tuesday
Paul

Tuesday xxi October, 2014

Pre: Korres Wheat Face Soap
Brush: Simpson's TSN P8 LE
Soap: Morris & Forndran Sandalwood & Shea Butter
Razor: Executive Shaving Braveheart on a Maggard MR3 Handle
Blade: Polsilver Stainless #1
Post: Alum, Sandalwood Witch Hazel, Trumper's Sandalwood Skin Food

Results: The Braveheart is, to be sure, my most aggressive closed comb razor and it needs a light touch. Overdid it this morning, and had to apply a full sweep of the alum to close up a few weepers. Yesterday I milled two Sandalwood & Shea Butter pucks into a soap stone container and gave it a whirl today. Very nice. I think the soaps were actually the soap despite being labelled differently. Lovely subtle scent and a great creamy, rich lather.

All the best,

Jon

Tuesday

Morning, everybody.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89
Blade: Astra SS (4)
Brush: Kabuki Bamboo
Shave cream: Endymion
Aftershave: M&S Woodspice
Cologne:

Good and very smooth.

Prep- Hot water splash
Soap- Barrister & Mann Cheshire
Brush- Muhle STF2
Razor- Murkur Futur
Blade- Sputnik [3]
Post- Barrister & Mann Cheshire AS

Result a close smooth shave from two passes, AS is very protective. Still got the hatches batten down as storm blows through for last several hours! Go Gonzo....

There is a world of safety razors out there spanning over a century of innovation. Sadly, many came with custom and proprietary blades which did not win the format wars and so are consigned to display cabinets as pretty pieces of shaving curio, never to taste flesh again.

Every now and again, a happy coincidence is spotted and some modern blade is found to just work ...

IMG_6930.JPG

Bulldog Face Wash
Bulldog Shave Gel
Kross Kross
Gillette Platinum Plus [1]
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Selin Lemon Cologne

Brushless Gel
One Pass

Well, if that wasn't one of the softest, safest, smoothest and downright most surprising shave I've ever had, I don't know what is!

Since first seeing the Kriss Kross, I was intrigued. The handle sweeps through a full 180 degree arc, permitting the shaver to select his angle; mimic the straight edge, go conventional safety razor or effect a slant. Shame the blades are no longer available. By happy coincidence, modern injector blades fit perfectly - just press the pivot, insert a blade and let the pivot clamp back down.

IMG_6929.JPG

There is a small margin for adjusting presentation - I like an aggressive shave, so went with a good presentation. I also found that the handle effecting a slant worked out best for me and I was rewarded with a single pass, clean, effective and so efficient removal of a couple of days stubble.

I still can't get over just how soft the shave was - I was concerned that the blade was not making contact, but the stubble removal was quite evident. Perhaps it's another happy coincidence that this frame can came these very sharp Gillettes?

Much enjoyed!

Back
Top Bottom