S.O.T.D. Saturday 29th November to Friday 5th December 2014

pjgh said:
Regarding the 1914:

Hippo said:
Wow! What a razor!
Amazing shave, dare I say that it knocks the 1912 off pole position IMHO!

Sir, you have slighted the name, honour and reputation of my good friend and companion. I demand satisfaction!

But yes, the 1914 is one hell of a shave and was, in its day, very much the competitor to the 1912 design Damaskeene as it was at the time.

But the 1912 has, will and always will be the de facto, the standard around which all other SEs are gauged and will remain the top and most recommended SE razor ... forever! :D

This morning I shaved with a 1914 (the one you gave me actually, Paul) and it was a damn good shave.

Wazzer3 said:
Prep- Tepid water splash
Soap- Reef Point 'Peeerless'
Brush- SOC
Razor- Ever Ready 1912
Blade- GEM stainless coated [2]
Post- alum, Thayers witch hazel, Alt Innsbruck AS

Fancontroller asked for my take on the soap:- the soap I found is thirsty and used all the water in the Boar up, but lathers up nicely with some work. The soap is of average slickness in my opinion with a slight tingle in use and after feel. I agree with Fancontroller about the scent being more of a green tobacco smell which I like.

Thanks for the feedback. I found the lather thirsty and excellent quality but I didn't get a tingle. I reckon I will be enjoying this soap more and more with use, it's a distinctive scent.

IMG_7208.JPG

Gilette Sensitive Gel
Weck Bantam - Weck Sextoblade [1]
Wilkinson Sword Bonded [2]
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue Aftershave

Brushless Gel (Duh! Why I got the brush out, I don't know)
Two Pass (Weck Sextoblade) - WTG
One Pass (Wilkinson Sword Bonded) - XTG

Two passes with the Weck and a resurrected vintage Sextoblade that I was able to hone on balsa with CrOx and another with Elsterglanz, followed by some linen and leather stropping.

I got a better shave with the Wilkinson Sword Bonded this time; the first seemed a little rough, but it's all in the angle. That, and a damn good palm stropping!

pjgh said:
Regarding the 1914:

Hippo said:
Wow! What a razor!

Sir, you have slighted the name, honour and reputation of my good friend and companion. I demand satisfaction!

348fy53.jpg

But yes, the 1914 is one hell of a shave and was, in its day, very much the competitor to the 1912 design Damaskeene as it was at the time.

But the 1912 has, will and always will be the de facto, the standard around which all other SEs are gauged and will remain the top and most recommended SE razor ... forever! :D

Oh my lord what have I done??!! I can only apologise with all my heart and hope that is enough to quench your thirst of dishonor kind Sir. If however you continue to demand satisfaction I will have no alternative but to accept and make hurry to my choice of weapon. I fear a choice of sword may result in my swift dispatch to worlds far away from this consciousness so must decide on methods more of a stranger to your skilled fencing hands....I choose.........wine gums! These are to be thrown at each gentleman in turn, according to dueling etiquette, the first direct hit wins. My secondwill furnish you with the hour and the field of honour. I am away with all swiftness to Messrs. Sainsbury & Son to procure armaments. I bid you good day.

Hippo said:
pjgh said:
Regarding the 1914:

Hippo said:
Wow! What a razor!

Oh my lord what have I done??!! I can only apologise with all my heart and hope that is enough to quench your thirst of dishonor kind Sir. If however you continue to demand satisfaction I will have no alternative but to accept and make hurry to my choice of weapon. I fear a choice of sword may result in my swift dispatch to worlds far away from this consciousness so must decide on methods more of a stranger to your skilled fencing hands....I choose.........wine gums! These are to be thrown at each gentleman in turn, according to dueling etiquette, the first direct hit wins. My secondwill furnish you with the hour and the field of honour. I am away with all swiftness to Messrs. Sainsbury & Son to procure armaments. I bid you good day.

In the absence of a second choice of naked and wet tea towels at ten paces, I suppose wine gums will have to do.

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso pre-shave - sensitive
Soap: Razorock XXX
Bowl: Woodhead Tall Large Scuttle
Brush: MÜHLE Kosmo silvertip synthetic
Razor: 1914 SE + globalneedz handle
Blade: Gem (5)
After: Aqua Velva Classic AS, Coral Skin Food

Much better experience with XXX this (second) time using it. First time I'd loaded from the tub. This time, as it's really a croap, I scooped out the usual size blob and transferred it to my scuttle. Using a synthetic brush also helped I think.
Like the scent a lot but still doesn't beat Nanny's Silly Soap "Down Home Summer".

This 1914 was a joy to use and overall the shave was smashing.

Have a great day, folks.

SOTD141201_zps201cfa1b.jpg

Monday 1st December

SOTD11214_zpsc506e2a4.jpg

Warm shower
Hot towel
Mike's Pine & Cedarwood scuttle lathered
Finest Badger brush made by myself
Gillette Aristocrat Junior No 48 set (1948)
Gillette Super Thin (2)
Cold rinse
Thayers Lavender witch hazel
Boots Freshwood aftershave

Cold water splash
Haslinger Schafmilch
M&F Urn in Blonde Badger
ATT M2 Kronos
Super Iridium (2)
Myrsol Emulsion

Haslinger has to be the easiest and quickest soap to lather, even with hard water.

Hot water face splash
Proraso 'Green'
Simpson Chubby 2 in Best
Ikon Deluxe Open Comb
Wizamet Iridium Super NOS
Cold Water face splash
Razor MD Post Shave Lotion - Herbal Blend (not shown!?)
Lacoste Blanc EdT

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

1964 Macys rebranded large floppy silvertip
Mongoose/Feather Pro Guard
XPEC SC
Barbershop Bay Rum AS and more used like cologne

Second shave with this milder blade and it does make the experience better for me. Besides a couple small places on my neck that are just about figured out, that whole area is pretty darn smooth. Yeah, nice comfortable job on my neck even going XTG and ATG. My face is left smoother than usual too.

Heh, there's a few red spots from pushing the envelope in tricky places but that won't happen again. Been fun using this thing but my test driving time is just about over.

BBS results,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom