Soap A Week Club (SAW)....voting for next week's soap

Anyone using a badger brush with success?
First day I used a Thater 2 band and today was Semogue badger/boar mix - today's loading was slightly easier but this may just be the benefit of using a damp puck. I'll go back to the Thater tomorrow and see if loading is any different.

I am having the same experience it seems to be getting better with use no other changes as such, must be a hydrated puck I guess.
Mine has cracked all over the place so must be somewhat dehydrated.

I decided to have a go with Plan of Mans tactic of drowning my puck overnight, the other day. Although it has increased in size, it has not filled out the pot - yet. Had a go at using it this morning, quite airy, must admit I was in a bit of a rush though and should have started again. I think there was too much initial wet on the brush and so was all downhill from there. Tomorrow I will try a dry brush on a wet soap and start from that.

In my experience MWF is a soap which performs better when it is used regularly which echoes what some of you are finding. I recently finished mine after a long time using it exclusively. I was happy with the performance and the scent was fine. I don't really like tallow based soaps though so I don't think I will buy another. Question for @fancontroller : Can you elaborate on how you know what granny's knickers smell like? :D These days I tend to use one soap until it is finished and MWF took a while. I just started on a fresh L'Occitane Cade puck,I had forgotten how good this stuff is. Shame there is no aftershave. Might pick up the EDT though.

...Question for @fancontroller : Can you elaborate on how you know what granny's knickers smell like? :D ...

magic-knickers.gif

Just got to use your imagination - I'd say Victorian washhouse with a touch of mothballs.

The other day I learnt a top tip from watching the "Elementary" TV series - covering the floor in cat litter will absorb any foul smells. In that case it was to disguise the odour of a rotting corpse but might help with MWF too (not that much different) :)
- Just joking, MWF'ers

This evening I had my second shave with MWF (and my first SE shave - more details in the SOTD thread) and this time I didn't soak/bloom the puck, just used a shook-out plissoft brush (probably as dry as a wet boar shook 3 times), and then about half way through the lathering, just dipping the tips of the brush in water before continuing the lathering again.. This is with very soft water.

mwflath.jpg

As this was my first shave with a single edged razor, I needed the soap to perform well, and it did. The little 1912 was flying along and despite that fierce SE blade inside, it felt absolutely as safe houses. I didn't once feel like I was going to cut myself as the SE blade motored along, noisily but extremely effectively slicing through everything in its path. Even with the aggressive performance of the SE blade, I was able to go over areas again comfortably, providing I applied a bit more water first.

Post-shave feels great. I didn't notice any extra dryness or greaseyness, and my skin feels very supple and clean.

Easily one of the best and most comfortable shaves I've ever had. I like this little 1912 a lot.

Last edited:
Just have shaved for third day in a row, having a rest last Wednesday. This is a superb soap.
Tools: Seygusrazor, Personna Crystal IP, 5# (number of uses), Frank Shaving brush 24*54 in finest badger, and Lord MWF. As most of you, gentlemen, highlight, the soap becomes better with use and wet. Unfortunately, we have several soaps in our den and sometimes avoid to dig up in the pleasure of repetition...
Regarding badger brushes, I only lather with this kind of hair, having no boar or synthetic hair brush, neither.

I have voted for Tabac just to watch your images and read comments. I love that soap but now is not at home. Next week I will taste an American soap that arrives this precise week.

I have voted for Tabac just to watch your images and read comments. I love that soap but now is not at home. Next week I will taste an American soap that arrives this precise week.

I believe the poll is redundant, for now at least.

Nishy was asking for a volunteer to do next week's SAW and I said I'd do it.

I'm thinking Nanny's Silly Soap, Moroccan Sands, Original Recipe (the soft soap in a tin, not the hard puck).

I hope enough of us have it.

Back
Top Bottom