SOTD: Saturday 24 to Friday 30 December of 2022

Fri 30
Soap Shannon's Soap BarberShop
Brush Yaqi 24mm Silvertip
Razor Thiers Issard 69 Frameback
Aftershave Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic Splash
Nice enough soap, brush & splash combination.
The razor was refreshed on the Naniwa 12k then strop on the buffalo leather. The edge feels abit better...crispier but still smooth. 3 enjoyable passes without issues for a dfs-ccs finish...
20221230_135045.jpg

And what theme could it be other than, 'I wish you a happy Christmas my fellow shavateers'

View attachment 97926

A happy razor - Muhle R89
Blade of merriment - Super Max
Yuletide brush - Highlander 26mm Cashmere
Bailey's cream - Abbate Y Mantia Krokos
Spirit of Christmas - Floris Elite
Snow-balling - I leave that to you

And for this very special day I have gone to the expense of a choir to sing a little medley of Christmas carols for you...

Oh little shop the Emporium, how deceitfully do you lie
Above thy hopes and useless soaps the silent shaves go by
Yet in thy dark-web shineth, the everlasting brush(?)
The nicks and tears of all the years can be dealt with in a flush
We three passes of shaving are;
With the grain is favourite by far,
Across the grain, bleeding and pain,
following TSR

Ouch frigging ouch, that's not bright,
Against the grain can be such a fright
Face is bleeding, but still proceeding,
I'm sodding off cos this ain't right
I saw three ships come sailing in
On Christmas day, on Christmas day,
I saw three ships come sailing in
On Christmas day in the morning.
And what was in those ships all three,
On Christmas day, on Christmas day,
And what was in those ships all three,
On Christmas day in the morning ?

I'll tell you what was in them. A bunch of salty arsed sailors with few quid in their back pocket and an evening's intention of 'Any port in a storm'. How would I know? I am one. And other than that I've seen enough ships on a Christmas morning to keep me happy for a bloody lifetime. Bugger that. Right, about this any place in a storm........

In amongst this rubbish, did I actually shave? Of course I did and what a most wonderful start to the day.

Did I mention it also happens to be not just a Christmas shave but also my birthday shave. Sixty something and still never got much further than thirteen.

A MOST WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS TO ALL, YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS. I LOVE YOU ALL.

And some of those beautiful girlies Band Maid as a X-Mas gift from me.

A very belated Happy Birthday!

Prep: ESC pre shave oil mixed with Proraso sensitive pre shave cream
Brush: ESC Medium Jock synthetic
Razor: Karve Overlander
Blade: Gillette Nacet Platinum (1)
Cream: Signature Soaps Valentia
PS 1: Southern Witchcrafts Incorporeal

First run out with the Nacet; it felt good but perhaps not as good as the Treet on first impressions. That being said my face was a bit irritated to start, I may take a day off tomorrow and try again Sunday.

30/12/22
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush - AP400B Slim Brass Gelousy Bulb 20mm
Soap - OSP Spirits
Razor - ATT S1 Slant
Blade - Gillette Silver Blue
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Ben Nevis - Amber & Moroccan Jasmine
A/S - Pinaud Gents Gin
Wk 52 (7).JPG
Hmm!
Todays trial with the floppy knot, i fitted 4 loom bands to try to give it a bit more backbone, during lathering these dropped into the handle tightening the base of the knot and it has worked to a degree, i did overload the knot with soap though its a real pity as i do like the handle:cry:, more loom bands?
Every thing else was spot on.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all

SOTD: 30/12/2022

Razor: Gillette 1956 USA B3 Red Tip
Blade: Gillette Nacet, 3rd use
Brush: DS Cosmetic Ken Surfs
Bowl: Face Lather
Preshave: Proraso Red Sandalwood Cream
Soap: Proraso Sandalwood Cream
Aftershave: Proraso Red Sandalwood Aftershave
Balm: Proraso Red Sandalwood Balm
Additional Care: Shave Tunes Courtesy Of A 1956 Playlist To Match the Razor
Additional Care: Wife Sniff Test = Devine

No shave yesterday as I like to give my face the day off every so often. Also I like to give the red tip something to go at. A red shave today to match the red tip.

I always thought the red tip madly aggressive and now I know why. The blade gap is uneven with one side being more than the other, I guess I was always using the aggressive side. On the plus side today when I used the non aggressive side I had a brilliant shave. I think rather than inventing a red tip adjustable razor I will send it off for a service (might as well get it re-plated at the same time).

E3A417A2-DCB3-4A0C-AF93-5A4246B729D9.jpeg

Friday December 30, 2022
Razor: Lupo .95/Super Knurl Handle
Blade: Euromax
Brush: MrEE LE #006/Tuxedo
Soap: Lakewood Soaps Dark Fruits
AS 1: Witch Hazel
AS 2: Nivea Deep
Fragrance:
Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1,516

I know it's a lousy out of focus pic but hopefully slightly better than no picture at all. :rolleyes:
qqqo8b9.jpg

Last edited:
30/12/22
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush - AP400B Slim Brass Gelousy Bulb 20mm
Soap - OSP Spirits
Razor - ATT S1 Slant
Blade - Gillette Silver Blue
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Ben Nevis - Amber & Moroccan Jasmine
A/S - Pinaud Gents Gin
View attachment 98176
Hmm!
Todays trial with the floppy knot, i fitted 4 loom bands to try to give it a bit more backbone, during lathering these dropped into the handle tightening the base of the knot and it has worked to a degree, i did overload the knot with soap though its a real pity as i do like the handle:cry:, more loom bands?
Every thing else was spot on.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all
Boar knots don't need no stinking band-aids! ;)

SOTD 30-Dec
20221230_111533.jpg
Brush: DG B15
Soap: P&B Spitfire
Razor: Jerry Rigged Shield GEM
Blade: GEM PTFE

After the recent dig through to clear out I came across the spitfire. One of my first acquired soaps that led me down the 'once started, never finished' road. Just as nice as the first time I tried it, a right hit in the face in terms of scent but its addictive. For the life of me I can't find the solid cologne I had, I really have to have a proper look around!

Another use of the O ring stuffed predator razor. Boti/Shield are sending me a replacement early January, but in the meantime I had to try it. It really is a nice razor, just as manoeuvrable as the sabre on which it is clearly based but just a touch more efficient as far as I can tell. Hopefully one that fits together properly works just as well!

Hope everyone has a grand day!

Cheers

Marc

Last edited:
Decemboar 30

Pre - Palmolive Sea Minerals
Soap - Proraso Green
Brush - Omega 10075
Razor - Yaqi Old Type Clone
Blade - Personna Lab Blue (5)
Post - Witch Hazel/Alum
AS - Brut Sport Style

I bought a cheap plastic pet travel water bowl with the intentions of trying my hand at bowl lathering again. It's something I've done before, and every time I'd give it a go I'd end up trying to bowl lather, get an inferior lather whilst using more shaving cream/soap, spending more time doing so, whilst having more to clean up, I'd give it a few goes before eventually go back to face lathering and PIF my shaving bowl away. Today was much the same as my previous attempts without the last few stages!
Excellent lather from the Proraso Green cream though, it's beautifully slick and shiny. I absolutely love this little Omega boar, it really performs far greater than the 4 Euros I paid for the brush.
A great shave with the Personna Lab Blue in the Yaqi Old Type. Once again, the Lab Blue was sharper today than it was the day before. In 2.5 passes, I have achieved a very close shave, but managed to pick up a few little weepers so needed to use an alum block to close those up.

Anyway gents, I hope you have a nice day.

IMG_20221230_123824.jpg

30 December

Red Ring vintage
Personna platinum chrome
Floris 1730 sandalwood
Semogue Hereditus
Extro Positano
After a few days of mild, JAO shaves (just about ok) thought I would go closer to the bone today. the Red Ring certainly didn’t disappoint in that respect with a couple of weepers to report. The brush is new out of the box and I should have left it in soak first, but hey ho impatient as ever gave it a whirl. A bit rough, and after 2 passes and pick ups my skin was a tad tender. The brush should soften up with use though. However, the ubiquitous alum block sorted that and then the Positano after shave perked up my world for another day sheltering from this grim weather. 2022 is certainly going out with the last word in weather extremes :eek:
Enjoy your day fellas!

9E8388C5-A941-4E45-9DC9-4E490319096A.jpeg

Razor = Muhle Rocca
Blade = Treet Platinum ( 3 )
Brush = Vintage 18mm Rooney in Super Badger
Soap = Geo F Trumper Almond
Splash = Myrsol Astringent
Balm = ES Fragrance Free
401694C6-EAE0-4BD6-8E5B-72FDDF1D2612.jpegAnother cracking shave albeit another disappointing soap..
The Almond Scent on this soap is class and right up my street however just like the sandlewood the lather didn’t last long.
When i first started lathering up it was rich & creamy and everything you would want from a soap but half was through the first pass it started to dissipate very quickly.
It actually beggars belief how a company that’s been running over 100 years can’t get this right.
i can honestly say i very much doubt i would ever buy a soap from them again
saying that the Oxford Blue was a different kettle of fish.
Overall i had a wonderful shave and i don’t let the soap get me down.
it’s all just another day on the learning curve.
Never Mind there’s always the next shave to enjoy
oh wait i do have another Trumper to try :cry:
Onwards & upwards
Stay Safe

Back
Top Bottom