SOTD: Saturday 24 to Friday 30 December of 2022

SOTD 27-Dec
20221227_104522.jpg
Brush: Captain Manchurian
Soap: B&M Smoking Bishop
Razor: PAL Injectomatic
Blade: B-20 (3)

Pleasant shave this morning, not much to take down after yesterday's close effort but still felt like going through the routine. I'm liking the injectomatic, I'm not convinced it could ever replace the DE for me but it's a nice change up.

Hope everyone has a grand day!

Cheers

Marc

Decemboar continues with the Omega Ovangkol coming back round in the (slightly haphazard) rotation. I haven't used the Officina Artigiana Milano for a while so I saw it and dragged it out, remembering how the similar colours make for a nice SotD pic confirmed my choice. Although I have an SE blade on the go I just fancied a change and picked the Slim again, I do enjoy it. A fresh 7 o'clock platinum black was loaded.

Somewhat distracted, I had a great shave with piles of lovely lather, but got a bit carried away and probably overdid it a bit in pursuit of BBS. Not because I felt I had to, just absent-mindedly going for the best result. No dramas but tbh with a fresh platinum blade it was a little close for comfort, I might have been well advised to stop at 2 passes. Fortunately my skin is fairly forgiving, feels a tad raw immediately after but will be ace when I get that Bio oil on. Sorry no links to 'Golden Brown' today, did that already!

20221227_113729.jpg

Tuesday December 27, 2022
Razor: Type "L" Injector
Blade: Injector
Brush: Fluffy Inds. Original/Badger-Boar Mix
Soap: London Razors Mountain Laurel
AS 1: Witch Hazel
AS 2: Proraso Green Splash
Fragrance: London Razors Mountain Laurel
Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1,513
eZN6WHN.jpg

27th December
No time to post or read posts for a few days, sorryo, so firstly happy belated birthday Chris,
Got a vintage Wilkinson Christmas gift from my son in law, it included some pretty much NOS blades, still thick with grease so no rust and clearly unused (but 60+ years in the packet :rolleyes: )
Thought I would give it a try out, so carefully cleaned and stropped a blade, rubbed on pre shave oil, soaped up and commenced the shave. The blade gap is adjustable so I fiddled about and to my surprise got through the shave with no drama or weepers or irritation. To be fair, after 3 passes it still wasn’t a DFS but might have been ok in the 1930s. I also have a fettled GEM blade so used that to finish off with pick ups and then declared it DFS. Could I use the Wilkie daily? Doubt it, amazingly fine engineering and its adjustable but frankly too much of a fiddle for regular use. Guess that’s why Gillette swept the field with competitors.
Post shave with alum block and Extro Via Roma 14 RIVOLUZIONE after shave, beautiful citrus scent and a thumbs up from the boss.

Have a great day fellas

7BB10339-43DC-4CB9-A8E6-6DA655B6E88B.jpeg

Tue 27
Soap & Aftershave Phoenix & Beau Spitfire
Brush Spiffo Manchurian
Razor J. R. Torrey 5/8
Nice leathery/mechanical scented soap & matching splash! The lather is good and the brush is just awesome for face lathering-super soft!! A rushed shave during WFH lunch break. Still able to enjoy 3 passes with the compact razor...
20221227_163017.jpg

First shave since Friday and gave the new straight razor a go.
Good news is I didn't cut myself with it at all. Bad news is... well, everything else about the shave.
I had left it in the bathroom since I got it on Xmas day and now there are rust spots and marks in various places. It had been left to air dry after a few test strokes when I got it.
The shaving edge seemed unaffected so I lathered up and after many strokes in different directions very little stubble was removed and it felt very tuggy.
After ten minutes I gave up, re-lathered and loaded up a gillette slim twist and supermax blue diamond.
The soap is a bit of an unknown for me - Dr Dulcamara sandalwood. Provides a very effective lather in conjunction with the Vulfix 404 brush.

I am a complete newbie to straight shaving and my honing and stropping tools are in a different location at the moment. I will give it a hone when I can but didn't expect to get rust on it. Do people keep them in oil between shaves to prevent this?

Superdrug Forest Fresh aftershave to finish. Tried to pick some more up (have been warned it's not been available for some time) and only found the pre-shave electric lotion, but I picked up the last two bottles of it anyway as it has that scent I like.

It was the same problem with the Boots Freshwood. PXL_20221227_143929646.jpgPXL_20221227_143952783.jpgPXL_20221227_144007134.jpgPXL_20221227_144015751.jpg

Back
Top Bottom