SOTD: Saturday 24 to Friday 30 December of 2022

First shave since Friday and gave the new straight razor a go.
Good news is I didn't cut myself with it at all. Bad news is... well, everything else about the shave.
I had left it in the bathroom since I got it on Xmas day and now there are rust spots and marks in various places. It had been left to air dry after a few test strokes when I got it.
The shaving edge seemed unaffected so I lathered up and after many strokes in different directions very little stubble was removed and it felt very tuggy.
After ten minutes I gave up, re-lathered and loaded up a gillette slim twist and supermax blue diamond.
The soap is a bit of an unknown for me - Dr Dulcamara sandalwood. Provides a very effective lather in conjunction with the Vulfix 404 brush.

I am a complete newbie to straight shaving and my honing and stropping tools are in a different location at the moment. I will give it a hone when I can but didn't expect to get rust on it. Do people keep them in oil between shaves to prevent this?

Superdrug Forest Fresh aftershave to finish. Tried to pick some more up (have been warned it's not been available for some time) and only found the pre-shave electric lotion, but I picked up the last two bottles of it anyway as it has that scent I like.

It was the same problem with the Boots Freshwood. View attachment 98035View attachment 98036View attachment 98037View attachment 98038
That’s painful to look at! I always wash off blade and dry on my shave towel before storing in the bottom of my wardrobe were it is dry after stropping, on occasion apply a touch of renaissance wax to the entire razor. Razors rarely come shave ready and require honing and stropping, good luck and persevere!

Razor = Rockwell 6s ( 4 )
Blade = Treet Platinum ( 2 )
Brush = Shavemac 400 Silvertip
Soap = Geo F Trumper Oxford Blue
Splash = Myrsol Blue
Balm = Baxter Of California
BE3D48BF-2FFA-49AA-87D3-D7C319035501.jpegWell Well Well
what a difference a day makes.
Evert so often i get a shave that i think can’t be beaten.
Top drawer a straight 10/10 & today was that day.
I think iv tried just about all of trumpers creams & rate them highly but after reading everything on here & elsewhere regarding their soaps i was full of optimism when my wife bought me a few.
The first was the sandlewood the other day which was definitely a disappointment and not a patch on the cream.
The scent was class but the soap disappeared very quickly.
Bring on the Oxford Blue
again i wasn’t expecting much but man i was wrong,
lashings of lather & a completely different shave.
The Scent was clean & fresh & dare i say similar to mwf a bold statement i know.
The performance was top class & nothing like the performance i got from the sandlewood.
This soap is definitely a keeper & a lovely surprise
Stay Safe Boys & enjoy the festive period

View attachment 98020
Shavemac TSR L.E.
Merkur 41c
Polsilver Łódź (1)
OSP Belgravia Barbershop
Thayer’s Lavender witch hazel
OSP Belgravia Barbershop a/s

Hope everyone had a good Christmas.

Belated birthday wishes to Chris @Satanfriendly. Your ramblings make sotd worth the price of admission!

Enjoy the rest of festivities chaps.

Thank you. The admission fees are going up in the new year in line with inflation. They are presently zero........and will rise by 11.4%

I had left it in the bathroom since I got it on Xmas day and now there are rust spots and marks in various places.
Bummer. Still they should come out easy enough. Unless I know the seller (including factory) I take 'shave ready' with a pinch of salt.

I dry mine with toilet tissue and strop on canvas and leather then put them in the bedroom away from the moisture of the bathroom, never had a rust spot. I don't oil them but I know John June recommends a spray of Clippercide which is a very light oil with disinfectant designed (obvs) for hair clippers. He lives on the coast though so possibly has more trouble with rust than I do in Thames Valley. He doesn't even use water during the shave, he wipes the razor on a dry flannel to remove the stubble and lather after a stroke, not rinse.

Tuesday AM 2022-12-27
The Cave of Swallows, the largest known cave shaft, was 'discovered' on this date in 1966, Aquismon, San Luis Potosi, Mexico
BN8maEl.jpg

Rooney Stubby 3 Porcelain Finest (26/54)
Ethos Grooming Succès shaving soap
Wolfman WR2-SB/WRH7 Antique Bronze
Personna 74 Tungsten (8)
Bleu de Chanel aftershave
cVh40fx.jpg

And arriving on your screens is my shave themed, 'How the bloody hell did I manage this?'

20221227_183442.jpg

It shouldn't have been - Stainless Mongoose
No way - Feather Super Professional
No chance - PAA Pelegrino
Incredible - Signature Soaps Londinium
Did I get this far? - L'Occitane Cade

'Introducing the ultimate shaving gadget. The pop-up portable shaving room. Available from all good outlets. But not the Emporium'

For the past two days I have been feeling like the devil himself has paid me a visit for my evil ways. Now sod off dad.

Absolutely bogged down with one serious heavy duty flu bout. Or at least I presume flu. But means be what means be and there was no way could I continue with a shitty scruffy face and so a shave it had to be. I didn't care if it was BBS or dolphin, as long as it felt good. And boy oh boy I got more than I bargained for. I wouldn't like to say handsomely smooth because even on a good day I couldn't do handsome, so 'super' was kind enough.

Brilliant and certainly lifted my spirits.

I hope to be clear by May as the Beaver are playing Manchester. A 2023 highlight. So the Beaver it is.....

And arriving on your screens is my shave themed, 'How the bloody hell did I manage this?'

View attachment 98063

It shouldn't have been - Stainless Mongoose
No way - Feather Super Professional
No chance - PAA Pelegrino
Incredible - Signature Soaps Londinium
Did I get this far? - L'Occitane Cade

'Introducing the ultimate shaving gadget. The pop-up portable shaving room. Available from all good outlets. But not the Emporium'

For the past two days I have been feeling like the devil himself has paid me a visit for my evil ways. Now sod off dad.

Absolutely bogged down with one serious heavy duty flu bout. Or at least I presume flu. But means be what means be and there was no way could I continue with a shitty scruffy face and so a shave it had to be. I didn't care if it was BBS or dolphin, as long as it felt good. And boy oh boy I got more than I bargained for. I wouldn't like to say handsomely smooth because even on a good day I couldn't do handsome, so 'super' was kind enough.

Brilliant and certainly lifted my spirits.

I hope to be clear by May as the Beaver are playing Manchester. A 2023 highlight. So the Beaver it is.....

I hope you are feeling better soon Chris, there is a lot of it about at the moment but you will be fine well before May. :)

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom