SOTD: Saturday February 18 - Friday 24 February 2023.

20230223_173530.jpg

Bull Dog face watch
Edwin Jagger cream sample
Omega Boar
R41GS
Shark SS
Baylis and Harding

Had a hot wash to prepare before both passes and a good cold wash after. Wasn't overly impressed with the cream. The sample came with the new razor, which was a nice touch but I won't be buying any.

The SS R41 and the Shark worked their usual.magic over two passes. Close and comfortable.

Thursday AM 2023-02-23
The first newspaper classified ad was published on this date in 1886, Times of London

Z0rZE5F.jpg

Rooney 1/3 Ebony Finest (26/52)
Penhaligon's English Fern shaving soap (tallow)
Wolfman WR2-SB/Bob's Razor Works Aristocrat Bull Mastiff Bronze
Personna 74 Tungsten (12)
Penhaligon's English Fern aftershave (vintage)
EQc273S.jpg
m56qPIj.jpg

View attachment 101251

Muehle R41GS | Lord Platinum | Hand-carved Spalted Beech & G5C | St. Mitchell’s | Boot’s Freshwood | Bulldog Balm

View attachment 101250
Nope, too much razor for me. Too long a handle and too great a weight given the known aggression of the head. A cumbersome beast in these mitts. Even with a mild and smooth Lord Platinum, I felt I was going to peel off too much skin.

After two passes, I still had minor stubble in certain awkward areas so I put down the beast and picked the comparative kitten, my DE86. A wee tickle here and there for slightly too close results given the weeper beneath my bottom lip and some irritation in the mo zone. But not the carnage had I proceeded with the Teutonic Terror.

As to the Beast - to the BST with you! Here be bargains…
What a shame...

I love this razor

View attachment 101251

Muehle R41GS | Lord Platinum | Hand-carved Spalted Beech & G5C | St. Mitchell’s | Boot’s Freshwood | Bulldog Balm

View attachment 101250
Nope, too much razor for me. Too long a handle and too great a weight given the known aggression of the head. A cumbersome beast in these mitts. Even with a mild and smooth Lord Platinum, I felt I was going to peel off too much skin.

After two passes, I still had minor stubble in certain awkward areas so I put down the beast and picked the comparative kitten, my DE86. A wee tickle here and there for slightly too close results given the weeper beneath my bottom lip and some irritation in the mo zone. But not the carnage had I proceeded with the Teutonic Terror.

As to the Beast - to the BST with you! Here be bargains…
Long handles are for girls!

I used my trusty boar brush for the second lathering session with the Easy shave stick. You really don't need much product to generate a slick lather. The razor really glides over the soap although the soap doesn't leave the "after slip" if you put the razor across after the soap has been moved away.

The Astra Kermaik (third shave) is a very smooth blade indeed. The performance is still very good although the stubbornest patches against the grain aren't as close as I'd like.
Still a great result and I'm liking using the Slim Adjustable. It's a razor I've owned for many years but always preferred the head design and handle length of the Fatboy. Yesterday I thought it was about time I gave it a proper run out again.

Rating: 4 / 5

Razor: Gillette Mk. II Adjustable "Slim" (1965)
Blade: Astra Keramik
Brush: Semogue 1305
Lather: Gibbs Easy shave stick
Aftershave: Bialy Jelen Birch Juice balm https://shavingbuddies.com/shave/63f7cf9ed581142156d56daa

AB1AD5EF-000F-4CB8-A07A-D978F3622AF2.jpeg
SOTD: 23/02/2023

Razor: Yaqi Mellon Stainless Steel
Blade: Astra SP, 1st use
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: Bart’s Balms Lochnagar Oil
Soap: Seaforth! Sea Spiced Lime Puck
Balm: Seaforth! Spice Lime Aftershave Toner Lotion
Fragrance: Seaforth! Sea Spiced Lime Eau de Toilette

Wow, I’m not sure I’ve used a razor that seems to have this much blade exposure before! I was worried that this would lead to issues or an overly aggressive shave however it didn’t, I took care and was rewarded with a lovely close shave. Not that it was perfect, the blade didn’t feel as secure as it could despite being well clamped, there felt like there was a little flex in the blade. I thought this would be an identical shave to the Yaqi Mellon Doc in zinc alloy which I have but it seems the head is very different in design. I look forward to trying it out again but will definitely be taking my time, it’s not as capable at present as its zinc sibling or the PAA Meta.

Back
Top Bottom