SOTD: Saturday January 28 - Friday 3 February 2023.

Fifth shave with the Rotbart blade and third with the Yaqi razor.
Although it's still cutting well it is getting a little harsher. I reckon tomorrow's shave might be its last. 6 is about double what I usually do so I am very impressed.

The White Moss shaving soap is a good performer but the scent is like a very light lily or cotton smell. Not really my thing. Not saying I want to smell of beer and onion rings but something more masculine would be more my style.

Razor: DLC Yaki Adjustable
Blade: Rotbart Extra Dunn (ZAO Petersburg)
Brush: Unknown black resin synthetic(?) brush
Lather: Acca Kappa White Moss
Aftershave: Goya Corvette https://shavingbuddies.com/shave/63dc0f5e9c1da4081f7cef35
PXL_20230202_135136662.jpg

Continuing our month with the mighty Mitch!

Thursday 2nd February

AMWts8BgP7DGW9iRT-v2sUvRuMK9tUoLzvH3FIVtrMDOPf30_i5a37VpxBuTqFbktq0sIoX9kHQQmebI17eS9YF6Eo06L64SpRlyQmLBPqV5yrBXWeqNOWASIy9bsjLCrNPNiyQ4O7E4FQ3e1QXqZJRuehHSvQ=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Marvellous Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap & Omega 80005 Pure Bristle
Muhle Rocca Gold & Pro500 Super Platinum (1)
Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla Aftershave Lotion

Cor! That was nice ...

Another blade new to me, much thanks to @donnie_arko ... this time the Pro500 from Sharp International Products Pvt. Ltd.

First shave, so pinch of salt as the second is often the one that reveals the true character of a blade, it's good! It's approaching SuperMax Super Platinum good, certainly as good as the Vidyut and Zorrik branded Super Platinum of the latest generation. It's not quite (discontinued) SuperMax Super Platinum good or the latest SuperMax Diamond Edge, but that thought may change with more shaves.

Yeah, good blade ...

That said, laying down about a tenner and a two to three week wait for an order from India, I'd rather put in an order for the Statum Platinum Chrome.

Thursday 2nd February

Soap • Stirling Gentleman
Brush • Yaqi Moka Express 24mm Synthetic
Razor • Feather AC
Blade • Kai Protouch MG (10)
Post • Stirling Gentleman Balm

I've recently had a few shaves with a cheap AC razor, and had some success with it (much to my surprise!)
Brian, @culcreuch messaged me with some encouraging tips, which helped me with technique.
When I expressed a wish to obtain a SS AC razor, Brian was helpful with advice, and offering to loan me one or two of his own razors.
Then, Brian offered to gift me this Feather AC. Well, I couldn't accept such an offer, but we came to a trade agreement - and I'm now the proud owner of a quality AC razor!
I used it for the first time this evening, and already it's leaving my cheap Univinlions behind.
I opted to use a Protouch MG with 9 shaves behind it, to err on the side of caution.
I'm pleased to report I managed a two pass shave without any errors.
The more rounded handle felt more comfortable to hold, which made for a more relaxing experience. It feels well weighted too, which helped me not to apply undue pressure in use.
That's a lovely razor to shave with Paul, the most forgiving of the Feather AC razors. :)

Paul.

Continuing our month with the mighty Mitch!

Thursday 2nd February

AMWts8BgP7DGW9iRT-v2sUvRuMK9tUoLzvH3FIVtrMDOPf30_i5a37VpxBuTqFbktq0sIoX9kHQQmebI17eS9YF6Eo06L64SpRlyQmLBPqV5yrBXWeqNOWASIy9bsjLCrNPNiyQ4O7E4FQ3e1QXqZJRuehHSvQ=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Marvellous Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap & Omega 80005 Pure Bristle
Muhle Rocca Gold & Pro500 Super Platinum (1)
Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla Aftershave Lotion

Cor! That was nice ...

Another blade new to me, much thanks to @donnie_arko ... this time the Pro500 from Sharp International Products Pvt. Ltd.

First shave, so pinch of salt as the second is often the one that reveals the true character of a blade, it's good! It's approaching SuperMax Super Platinum good, certainly as good as the Vidyut and Zorrik branded Super Platinum of the latest generation. It's not quite (discontinued) SuperMax Super Platinum good or the latest SuperMax Diamond Edge, but that thought may change with more shaves.

Yeah, good blade ...

That said, laying down about a tenner and a two to three week wait for an order from India, I'd rather put in an order for the Statum Platinum Chrome.

Thanks for the tag Paul. When I took the Kleen Shave and Pro 500 blades out the tucks, they looked closer to the Supermax packaging of blades than the Lancet/Statum blades, which seem to have a bit more in common. Where these non Supermax blades are actually made are a mystery though!

Beautiful SOTN (Head & Face)

Tatara Muramasa (Face)
Leaf Razor & Henson AL13++ (Head)
Oaken Labs Sanctum
Alpha Outlaw UKWSS Group Buy Brush
Lord Super Chrome
Boots Tea Tree & Witch Hazel Booster Serum
La Roche Posay B5 Balm

This is the only Oaken Labs set I have and use it so infrequently (on account of having so many other sets), I honestly forget just how good the soap and splash are - going to need to put that right I think .

Attachments

• PXL_20230202_203642273.jpg
    PXL_20230202_203642273.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 8
Thanks for the tag Paul. When I took the Kleen Shave and Pro 500 blades out the tucks, they looked closer to the Supermax packaging of blades than the Lancet/Statum blades, which seem to have a bit more in common. Where these non Supermax blades are actually made are a mystery though!

You're right on the packaging ... SuperMax latest crop are in these logo printed greaseproof slips and have been for some time now, likely starting with the off-brands like Rise and Ninja. I can't find anything to relate this company to SuperMax in their Senior Management or Director level positions; sometimes there'll be a link.

I'll be doing a Lancet/Statum back to back over the next couple of weeks as I really do want to see whether the Statum is as good as the better of the Lancet Platinums ... or even if I think one is the actual descendant of the other. Certainly, the Statum feels like the natural successor now that Lancet is discontinued. I then want to back to back against the Treet Platinum and see if there's a new contender for the crown in my blade armoury.

Back to this Pro500 ...

First impressions are very good. Very much looking forward to tomorrow's shave which will be in the Gillette Hybrid Tech. I forgot to say above that I found it much like the Super Glide, which we now know is a Treet blade and suspect that blade to be related to the 7 Days Platinum perhaps with a different finish.

2nd shave with Tatara titanium passround

Razor TataraTitanium,

Head Nodachi TI closed comb.

Blade Feather (2nd use).

Soap Tabac (Original with tallow)

Brush Yaqi professional, a huge synthetic brush

Preshave? Hot shower

Aftershave Floid original.

I'd got over my astonishment at how good the oc version was. The head selection is overwhelming to me at least. I don't like closed comb razors.....none the less swapped out the oc for the closed one.

Changed the soap. I love clean smell of Tabac. Can't fail with this soap. Not as rich or oily maybe as the cubebe but still very good.

Effortless lather with the huge synthetic yaqi.

Far less growth than removed last time. Still a fantastic bb shave on four passes.

OK. I'm stuck here I like big heavy ac razors. Yet this little 'toy' is as refined and more Effortless than any of them! I'm seriously confused. I weighed the toy 50g handle Head and blade- 50g!!! So I weighed by hawk v3 open comb with big handle 110g. I weighed the other ac razor I use, desperately trying to remember what it is....125g! This little gem is less than half the weight of either.

Well folks this little toy has forced me to rethink what I like. Seriously its good! The hawk v3 oc is regarded as a beast and really aggressive, but this little light thing matches it for a shave.

If you can, get your name on the passround list.

Attachments

• 20230131_073942.jpg
    20230131_073942.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230131_073942.jpg
    20230131_073942.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 8
My experience with open combs is minimal and usually stay away from them because of their notorious reputation on being aggressive. This couldn't be further from the truth with the Homelike Start
That's my experience too - in the early days I somehow learned that open combs were more assertive & dangerous than a safety bar design - same with slants - nothing could be further from the truth. R41 excepted - If you want to settle the argument - and confuse your expectations - try and find a Ikon Shavecraft alu 101 head - it's a two-sided design - the open comb is milder than the closed. It's a pretty mild razor all told. cheers - I.

SOTD 03-Feb
20230202_141355.jpg
Brush: AP Lemon Drop TGN Boar
Soap: MWF
Razor: Blackland Era (4)
Blade: Rubie (1)

Decent shave today on day 3 of the fat, this boar always whips up a fantastic lather especially with harder soaps and holds more than enough for as many passes as you'd need and it only seems to get better.

Smooth and ready for the day, or rather I'm ready to pretend to work and wind down to the weekend!

Hope everyone has a grand one.

Cheers

Marc

Last edited:
SOTD: 03/02/2023

Razor: Rockwell 6s #3
Blade: Gillette Platinum, 2nd use
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar
Bowl: Captains Choice Heavyweight Copper Bowl
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat Puck
Aftershave: Razorock Irish Countryside Aftershave
Balm: Wickham 1912 Irish Fern Balm

It's t'fat February, a whole month of using Mitchell's Wool Fat.

Or as I like to call it "The Fattening", it's just like the quickening in the film Highlander. There can be only one.

AD871F23-7AA9-42B6-B908-E34A23D206F4.jpeg

Prep: Face wash with Simple face wash
Pre: Bart’s Pres-Shave
Razor: Homelike Start OC
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow (2)
Brush: Razorock 400
S Cream: Simpsons

A more dramatic depiction of today's shaving implement. Once again thank you @slapo for giving me the opportunity to try the Homelike Start.
I could easily entitle the SOTD picture 'Beware, I bite!' but this could not be further from the truth. An absolute pleasure to drive the Homelike around my face.
A scentless shave with today's choice of software. Thank you @Crossan for the freebie Included with one of my purchases. Simpsons cream doesn't disappoint. Extremely easy to lather and lots of protection during the shave.

It's Friday, the week is nearly over so wishing you a lovely weekend ahead!

SOTD.jpeg

That's a lovely razor to shave with Paul, the most forgiving of the Feather AC razors. :)

Paul.
Hi Paul

You must be right. It felt tame compared to a Univillions (Kai copy).
Of course, with it being new to me I used it with upmost respect.
I will use a Feather Pro with it next time out.
I'm hoping my cack-handedness will morph in to technique and muscle memory soon too.

Back
Top Bottom