SOTD: Saturday March 4 - Friday 10 March 2023.

QU2Hjx1.jpg

They were fine Brian, they caused no issue during the shave. The smaller black shavette i got with this one i think will be milder as the blade sits further in. I will be using it tomorrow so you will be able to see the difference of blade setting.
To be honest, a real good beginners shavette.
Well this little conversation has resulted in me lining up my look-a-like Parker for tomorrow although I could disagree slightly with your comment. I think exposed corners are OK........once you have learned how to use a shavette or open blade. When starting from scratch it can be a little daunting ! I butchered myself initially!

Razor = Tatara ( Pasaround )
Blade = Brazilian Wilko ( 2 )
Brush = That Darn Robb 26mm Boar
Soap = Hags Conclusion with matching splash.
Balm = Nivea Skin Energy.

EA3A96D9-654A-478C-9467-FACB752C511D.jpeg
Well Well Well
First impressions Don’t count.
When this razor first came out & all the hype that surrounded it i quickly came to the conclusion that it wasn’t for me,
i didn’t get it,
infact i would say i wasn’t keen on the look,
Plus i had decided i didn’t want to buy another modern razor.
HOWEVER
after receiving this beauty in the post this morning iv completely changed my mind.
Not because of the shave which yes is everything but the look & feel are fantastic
something i just didn’t see in pictures or videos.
Once in the hand i can appreciate the design quality & look with a first class shave to match.
i decided to go with the CC due to that being on the razor already.
The aggression i would say very similar to a R41 which is right my my street but don’t take my word for it,
that’s just how i felt.
I think i’ll start to do 2 pass shaves from now on just so i can try all the available options in the less amount of time.

The Soap was also a first for me
and again first impressions don’t last,
The art work on these hags soaps are first class however the soap doesn’t match up.
Pretty boring pretty lifeless & virtually no residual slickness.
My face was Bone dry after every pass.
The Scent was meant to represent
Emporio Armani Stronger With You 2017 which i guess it did a bit as i remember having this aftershave a few years back.
Don’t get me wrong with this soap i did get a wonderful thick lather but there was just something dull & Uninspiring about it,
probably the lack of slickness.
Never Mind
I still enjoyed the shave thanks to the Tatara
Onwards & Upwards
Stay Safe Boys n Girls

09 March, 2023

Prep: Hot towel
Razor: Rockwell 6S – #3
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum
Brush: Simpsons Duke 3 Best
Soap: Grooming Dept: Ousia II ( Kairos SE )
Fragrance: Oud Attar: Oud Cigar Elixer

I remember when Mallard first came out... I was not impressed, but I must admit that I was intrigued by the Kairos SE, and I was not disappointed.. What we have here is an extremely luxurious lather, and I was rewarded with a faultless shave. Yeah, fantastic...

9/3/23

Pre - Palmolive
Soap - tallow Tabac Stick
Brush - ApSc 22mm SynBad
Razor - Gillette Rocket
Blade - Gillette Winner Platinum (5)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Wars Protect

IMG_20230309_164217.jpg

It took a while to clean up my Gillette Rocket, but it's shiny now, I'm pleased I took the time and effort to do so.
My knowledge of TTO's is somewhat limited as I largely prefer the razors with heads as small as possible. The only other TTO I own is a Gillette Rocket HD. This Rocket has a thinner handle and is a bit lighter. Looking at the design of the heads, they look to be fairly similar, they could even be the same head design.
In the shave, I think the standard Rocket is a touch less efficient than the Rocket HD. In the shave with a Winner Platinum, it was a truly glorious shave. One of those ones where every part was something of exception.
A few more lathers with the SynBad and I'm kicking myself for not buying one of these earlier on! The tips are as soft as anything, and even with a quite a high loft it has good splay without ever losing it's shape. Great flow through for lather too. The SynBad produced one of the best Tabac lathers I've had for a while, as thick as whipped double cream but hydrated so it was almost falling off my face as the razor took to my face.
The Winner Platinum is a fine blade, it seems to go under the radar but I think it's like a slightly sharper and smoother version of the Astra Superior Platinum. For it's fifth shave today it was smooth as it was for it's first outing. When I splashed on the Wars Protect there was almost little to no post shave alcohol burn, which is sometimes a sign the shave was a comfortable one.

Anyway gents, I wish you well for the rest of the day.

Afternoon Shave Thursday 03.09.23
First shave with the new Wolfman Guerrilla. Smooth and close enough. Could easily be a daily driver.

rcN0ggR.png

RAZOR: Wolfman Guerrilla 2023 SB Bronze
BLADE: Gillette‌ 7 O'clock SharpEdge Yellow
BRUSH: AP Shave Co Lemon Drop 26mm Gel SHD Euro Bulb
LATHER: Grooming Dept Amare Kairos + Lamb Tallow Shaving Soap
POST: Fine Accoutrements Italian Citrus After Shave Splash

Thursday 9th March

AMWts8C9Bd-erfUtHJrTWILqyAsWOFlwRwuP_PUS0ZseqS3dyD9S7VkYlDOhFrPn2Fz-IVrBf2vNRjTZA15WwWeW2tW273blJubJOKUaNLjU8KAjJG0vMSw8xS40gffMIjb5cNf0HlTtYT6FPE9QEnizsclpFg=w800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Boots Old English Lavender (Vintage) Shaving Bowl & Omega 80005 Pure Bristle 24mm
Muhle Rocca Stainless & Crown Platinum Class
Pitralon Classic Aftershave

... not as super-smooth as the Racer Super Class Platinum I used a couple of days ago and curiously, not a million miles off the same branding Super Stainless blade I used yesterday; just a lot sharper. Curiously, this is the first Platinum Class blade that I've unwrapped and found the actual blade to merely state: Super Stainless, rather than "Platinum Super Stainless". Curious!

... and the shave was actually, not a million miles off the very sharp and very excellent Silver Star Super Stainless from Lord.

... all of which gives me a rather evil thought about this so-called platinum class of blades, but I'll leave that as a final thought for my write-up of the range. There is a thread on B&B showing a mineral analysis of a number of razor blades and certainly a couple of "Platinum" blades were found to have actually no platinum in their constitution. Treet was one, Lord another. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

after the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

Schick F type/Schick Plus Platinum from around 1990
Sir Brian ebony handle silvertip/Klar Kabinett rose shaving soap (extinct)
Lucky Tiger after shave
no EdT for some reason

I'm not shaving very often these days so usually there's some serious whisker wackin when it happens. This 80 year old razor was a total surprise when I first took it for a spin maybe 12-14 years go. Such a strange looking thing, made up of multiple metals with that uniquely shaped art deco aluminum handle! I'd had plenty of injector experience by then and this ride was different. Turned out to be my go to injector, which was shocking to me. Of course, the right blade helps a good bit.

Just the right amount of bite so no major vigilance and it feels great in my hand, weird little handle and all. The profile creates a very pleasing angle of attack if that makes sense. Easy to clean up or polish and that's it.

NTS got me thinking about reaching back once again in the arsenal for the sadly defunct rose scented soap slab that I was hooked on a long time ago and there's been some binging going on again, using it almost all the time. Pretty darn good for an amazingly reasonable priced soap like this and plus the only order available was the huge one kilo size I believe.

BBS results,

Martin

07-03-2023

Proraso, Pelli sensibili :: Wolfman Guerrilla SB 2023, Perma Sharp (# 8) :: Yaqi Sagrada Família, Silvertip :: Santa Maria Novella :: Proraso, Balsamo Dopobarba Protetivo :: Proraso, Lozione Dopobarba

dgcwYLH.jpg

08-03-2023

Proraso, Reinfrescante :: Yaqi Mellon, Perma Sharp (# 9) :: Rubberset 400 :: Mike's Natural Soaps, Hungarian lavender :: Lea 3 en 1 :: Aqua Velva

WIeObUl.jpg

09-03-2023

Proraso, Pelli sensibili :: Wolfman Guerrilla SB, Perma Sharp (# 10) :: Semogue SCNHG LE 2022 :: Barrister & Mann, Vespers :: Institut Karitè :: Varón Dandy

gVNGnFE.jpg

Salut!

Thursday 9th March

Soap • Noble Otter Monoi De Tahiti
Brush • Yaqi Ocean 30mm Synthetic
Razor • Feather ACS-NB
Blade • Kai Protouch MG (7)
Post • Noble Otter Monoi De Tahiti Splash

Shaving with this Feather AC Japanese style handled razor today came very easy. Confidence os growing, given how soon the shave was completed without error.
My last few shaves were with a Folding AC shavette that I'm finding a bit harder to manoeuvre due to the extended/open scales. I'll get there with it eventually.

Back
Top Bottom