Which soaps contain lanolin?

See attached - I would - respectfully - disagree with you -

View attachment 57186

Cheers - I.
To my mind these sticks are the old formula Lea - manufactured in the same factory - in Spain - perhaps that has changed? - In addition - I wouldn't take Maguire's descriptions as worth much. Just my opinion - each to their own. - I.
Since I have two of virtually every commercial soap ever made, I agree there are versions with tallow and lanolin. However my two are over five years old. Things change. I could post an Erasmic tub without SLS.

20200716_234622.jpg

Since I have two of virtually every commercial soap ever made, I agree there are versions with tallow and lanolin. However my two are over five years old. Things change. I could post an Erasmic tub without SLS.

View attachment 57187
:) - perhaps I just bought at the right time - you are right - things do change. Glad I bought a stack of the tallow version - I.

Ingredients from eBay

Ingredients
Potassium stearate, potassium cocoate, potassium palmitate, stearate soidum, aqua, glycerin, parfums, minerals salts, coumarin, limonene, linalool, butylpheryl methylpropional, tetrasodium EDTA, tetrasodium etidronate CI 77891

Ingredients from eBay

Ingredients
Potassium stearate, potassium cocoate, potassium palmitate, stearate soidum, aqua, glycerin, parfums, minerals salts, coumarin, limonene, linalool, butylpheryl methylpropional, tetrasodium EDTA, tetrasodium etidronate CI 77891
Same on Amazon

La Toja

Ingredients

@pjgh

1. LEA Classic
2. LEA Shaving Stick
3. RazoRock SMDF
4. Haslinger Sheep
5. Squadron - Group Captain's Blend
6. Lea Classic - in tube
7. Most Stirling
8. Musgo Real - in tube
9. Wilkinson Sword Shaving Stick

Wilkinson Sword Shaving Stick - Ingredients

potassium stearate, sodium stearate, potassium tallowate, potassium cocoate, aqua, sodium tallowate, glycerin, sodium cocoate, parfum, lanolin, potassium hydroxide, terasodium EDTA, tertasodium etidronate, sodium hydroxide, alpha-isomethyl ionone, benzyl salicyclate, citronellol, geraniol, hydroxycitronellal, hydroxisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde, linonene, linalool, CI 51319, CI 74160, C177891.

It's not a bad shaving soap. I'd say it shares a little in common with the German Shaving sticks of Tabac, Palmolive & Speick.

... and Shea Butter.

van-helsing.jpg

But other folks will love it!

Good, good! More?
@pjgh what's wrong with shea butter?!

@pjgh what's wrong with shea butter?!

... aside from the nauseating smell?

While you'll read all and sundry touting its amazing benefits, that's often for more resiliant skin or unshaven skin. Fine (well, not necessarily harmful) on unshaven skin, although the actual moisturising capability is somewhat limited and a bit of a fraud really. It will simply wash out rather than penetrating deeply into the epidermis and working with skin glands. Shaved skin on faces is complex. Sebum production in facial skin is under a lot of challenges, and one thing it doesn't need is a foreign oil that is entirely unlike the oils in our skin. Shea butter gives the apparency of well moisturised skin by sitting in the upper epidermis and not actually contributing much more than that. Yes, the medium chain triglycerides in coconut oil that it also often in these products is very much akin to the oil in our skin and will penetrate deeply, shea butter is not carried with it. On shaved facial skin, this often translates as a mushiness that can exacerbate the problem for hair growing through. Read: irritation and ingrowing hair.

Okay on legs. Not okay on shaved faces.

It has no place or purpose in shaving soap aimed predominantly at face shaving.

... and that's before we get into the ethics of production or the looming environmental catastrophe that inevitably follows trendy products.

While you'll read all and sundry touting its amazing benefits, that's often for more resiliant skin or unshaven skin. Fine (well, not necessarily harmful) on unshaven skin, although the actual moisturising capability is somewhat limited and a bit of a fraud really. It will simply wash out rather than penetrating deeply into the epidermis and working with skin glands. Shaved skin on faces is complex. Sebum production in facial skin is under a lot of challenges, and one thing it doesn't need is a foreign oil that is entirely unlike the oils in our skin. Shea butter gives the apparency of well moisturised skin by sitting in the upper epidermis and not actually contributing much more than that. Yes, the medium chain triglycerides in coconut oil that it also often in these products is very much akin to the oil in our skin and will penetrate deeply, shea butter is not carried with it. On shaved facial skin, this often translates as a mushiness that can exacerbate the problem for hair growing through. Read: irritation and ingrowing hair.

... and that's before we get into the ethics of production or the looming environmental catastrophe that inevitably follows trendy products.
Interesting, it is rare that modern artisan soaps which are used by most use on here don't contain SB, isn't it?

I find it difficult to look at the ingredients of shaving soaps and determine which of them contribute how they do but from my experiences I find a lot of 'modern' soaps which contain Shea Butter can often sit a little uneasy/a bit too greasy on my face but I'm never sure whether it's down to the Shea Butter or the essentials oils (as anything which even half a scent makes my face burn).
Of the soap I have used with Shea Butter as an ingredient, I've largely been underwhelmed but Signature Soaps uses it and it's one of my favourite soaps. It has a very neutral post shave feel.

I've just looked through the main soaps I use and most of them have Shea Butter in (including OSP, B&M Excelsior and SV which I get on very well with).

This is what the B&M website says about it, is it really a 'fraud'?

Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter

We use unrefined Ghana Beige shea butter as a super fat in Excelsior to provide additional lubrication and lather density as well as aid in post-shave feel. If you have really dry skin that requires major moisturizers, shea butter can mitigate post-shave dryness. If you have combination to oily skin, shea is lighter than other moisturizing butters and will generally leave your face feeling smooth and moisturized rather than buttery or oily.

Back
Top Bottom