Which soaps contain lanolin?

I've just looked through the main soaps I use and most of them have Shea Butter in (including OSP, B&M Excelsior and SV which I get on very well with).

This is what the B&M website says about it, is it really a 'fraud'?

Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter

We use unrefined Ghana Beige shea butter as a super fat in Excelsior to provide additional lubrication and lather density as well as aid in post-shave feel. If you have really dry skin that requires major moisturizers, shea butter can mitigate post-shave dryness. If you have combination to oily skin, shea is lighter than other moisturizing butters and will generally leave your face feeling smooth and moisturized rather than buttery or oily.
What works for some, doesn't work for others. Free speech allows us to have differing opinions. Empathy allows us to understand why they reach those opinions.

Marketing spiel vs WebMD?

WebMD: "People apply shea butter to the skin for acne, burns, dandruff, dry skin, eczema, and many other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support these uses. Shea butter works like an emollient. It might help soften or smooth dry skin. Shea butter also contains substances that can reduce skin swelling. This might help treat conditions associated with skin swelling such as eczema."

From NHS.uk "Emollients are moisturising treatments applied directly to the skin to soothe and hydrate it. They cover the skin with a protective film to trap in moisture." ... they do not penetrate but give the apparency of moisturising by trapping in moisture.

Yes, it's not lost on me that lanolin is also classified as an emollient. The key difference is its constitution. Lanolin is very similar to human sebum and blends in with skin oils, replenishing. It does not readily get washed out.

As with all things, it's each to their own ... so folks that like soaps with it in, carry on.

In a soap that contains lanolin, it's pointless. Lanolin does that job much better and works at a deeper level in tune with out skin oils.

Soaps for general bathing, absolutely fine ...

Marketing spiel vs WebMD?

WebMD: "People apply shea butter to the skin for acne, burns, dandruff, dry skin, eczema, and many other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support these uses. Shea butter works like an emollient. It might help soften or smooth dry skin. Shea butter also contains substances that can reduce skin swelling. This might help treat conditions associated with skin swelling such as eczema."

From NHS.uk "Emollients are moisturising treatments applied directly to the skin to soothe and hydrate it. They cover the skin with a protective film to trap in moisture." ... they do not penetrate but give the apparency of moisturising by trapping in moisture.

Yes, it's not lost on me that lanolin is also classified as an emollient. The key difference is its constitution. Lanolin is very similar to human sebum and blends in with skin oils, replenishing. It does not readily get washed out.

As with all things, it's each to their own ... so folks that like soaps with it in, carry on.

In a soap that contains lanolin, it's pointless. Lanolin does that job much better and works at a deeper level in tune with out skin oils.

Soaps for general bathing, absolutely fine ...
Would Jojoba wax or Almond oil be better?

What works for some, doesn't work for others. Free speech allows us to have differing opinions. Empathy allows us to understand why they reach those opinions.
By the way, I wasn't arguing one way or the other but just trying to understand. I know very little about these things and am keen to learn. That was where I was coming from.

Shaving soap has done perfectly well for more than 100 years without the need for such adjuncts. That said, folks requirements have changed.

My bugbear is with trendy ingredients that bring nothing more than their name to the party. Take it out, the soap is just as good. When soap manufacturers claim significant percentages of shea butter yet in shaving soaps we see it listed way down the ingredients list, like after parfum or hexydexywhatever chemical, you have to question exactly what it's in there for (other than just to say it's got shea butter).

Anyway, back to a different pointless adjunct: lanolin.

Any more soaps?

Shaving soap has done perfectly well for more than 100 years without the need for such adjuncts. That said, folks requirements have changed.

My bugbear is with trendy ingredients that bring nothing more than their name to the party. Take it out, the soap is just as good. When soap manufacturers claim significant percentages of shea butter yet in shaving soaps we see it listed way down the ingredients list, like after parfum or hexydexywhatever chemical, you have to question exactly what it's in there for (other than just to say it's got shea butter).

Anyway, back to a different pointless adjunct: lanolin.

Any more soaps?

Yep. The Vitos Eucalyptus & Menthol shaving cream, contains your holy trinity Tallow, Glycerine and Lanolin.

...My bugbear is with trendy ingredients that bring nothing more than their name to the party. Take it out, the soap is just as good. When soap manufacturers claim significant percentages of shea butter yet in shaving soaps we see it listed way down the ingredients list, like after parfum or hexydexywhatever chemical, you have to question exactly what it's in there for (other than just to say it's got shea butter)...

A very, very few of the so called "artisans" are actually trained chemists/scientists. Not that one need be, but just as in all endeavors a few will always be smarter than the rest. There is a lot of "shuck & jive" hucksterism, snake oil if you may, about it however.

1. LEA Classic
2. LEA Shaving Stick
3. RazoRock SMDF
4. Haslinger Sheep
5. Squadron - Group Captain's Blend
6. Lea Classic - in tube
7. Most Stirling
8. Musgo Real - in tube
9. Wilkinson Sword Shaving Stick
10. Erasmic soap bowl

Not sure if it was mentioned in here but it wasn't on the list. Picked it up for buttons yesterday ad noticed it has lanolin listed among the ingredients.

A very, very few of the so called "artisans" are actually trained chemists/scientists. Not that one need be, but just as in all endeavors a few will always be smarter than the rest. There is a lot of "shuck & jive" hucksterism, snake oil if you may, about it however.

There's also a hell of a lot of "artisans" who are not! Just read the ingredient list - those soaps are made in factories! Huge factories, with random name/logo/picture generators at the end of the packing line.

Still, I enjoy a home-made endeavour ...

10. Erasmic soap bowl

Erasmic? I have that one, too ... although it's vintage.

Ingredients list from Amazon: Aqua Propylene Glycol Sodium Stearate Sodium Laureth Sulfate Glycerin Sorbitol Sodium Cocoate Sodium Xylene Sulfonate Stearic Acid Titanium Dioxide Parfum Cinnamyl Alcohol Citral Citronellol Coumarin Geraniol Limonene Linalool Tetrasodium EDTA Tetra Sodium Etidronate

... not lanolin. There's linalool, but that's different; like laughter and slaughter are different.

Do you have a picture of the bowl/box with ingredients listed? Amazon could easily be (and often are) wrong.

Erasmic? I have that one, too ... although it's vintage.

Ingredients list from Amazon: Aqua Propylene Glycol Sodium Stearate Sodium Laureth Sulfate Glycerin Sorbitol Sodium Cocoate Sodium Xylene Sulfonate Stearic Acid Titanium Dioxide Parfum Cinnamyl Alcohol Citral Citronellol Coumarin Geraniol Limonene Linalool Tetrasodium EDTA Tetra Sodium Etidronate

... not lanolin. There's linalool, but that's different; like laughter and slaughter are different.

Do you have a picture of the bowl/box with ingredients listed? Amazon could easily be (and often are) wrong.

Correct, like laughter and slaughter, Lanolin and Linalool are different...but both are listed in the bowl of Erasmic I purchased just yesterday.

Peg75....whatever that is!

Happy Sunday

20200719_103345.jpg

Perfect! Thank you. I did find a picture with those ingredients but it looked like an old picture. Pictures of the current range appeared not to have it and I wondered if it was a 90g vs 75g thing, but yours is 90g.

s-l500.jpg

Brill! I have no idea whether my vintage has it in ... doubtful that PEG-75 Lanolin existed then.

"PEGs are almost often followed by a number, for example PEG-6, PEG-8, PEG-100 and so on. This number represents the approximate molecular weight of that compound. Typically, cosmetics use PEGs with smaller molecular weights. The lower the molecular weight, the easier it is for the compound to penetrate the skin. Often, PEGs are connected to another molecule. You might see, for example, PEG 100 stearate as an ingredient. This means that the polyethylene glycol polymer with an approximate molecular weight of 100 is attached chemically to stearic acid."

... looks to me like they took out the SLS, the Titanium Dioxide and the Tetrasodium EDTA, all of which have had bad press of late.

Last edited:
Perfect! Thank you. I did find a picture with those ingredients but it looked like an old picture. Pictures of the current range appeared not to have it and I wondered if it was a 90g vs 75g thing, but yours is 90g.

s-l500.jpg

Brill! I have no idea whether my vintage has it in ... doubtful that PEG-75 Lanolin existed then.

"PEGs are almost often followed by a number, for example PEG-6, PEG-8, PEG-100 and so on. This number represents the approximate molecular weight of that compound. Typically, cosmetics use PEGs with smaller molecular weights. The lower the molecular weight, the easier it is for the compound to penetrate the skin. Often, PEGs are connected to another molecule. You might see, for example, PEG 100 stearate as an ingredient. This means that the polyethylene glycol polymer with an approximate molecular weight of 100 is attached chemically to stearic acid."

Ah I see, thanks for that. How good is this forum, learn something new everyday!

I must admit I didn't check for lanolin when buying it, only when I got home I remembered about your post and checked it out.

... or maybe the picture I showed is the old one and you have the new one as it looks to me like they took out the SLS, the Titanium Dioxide and the Tetrasodium EDTA, all of which have had bad press of late. I think the shaving stick is a different formulation and has tallow (but not lanolin). They have physical items in Savers, but I'm not going to potentially risk my health for a soap.

Back
Top Bottom