Which soaps contain lanolin?

... or maybe the picture I showed is the old one and you have the new one as it looks to me like they took out the SLS, the Titanium Dioxide and the Tetrasodium EDTA, all of which have had bad press of late. I think the shaving stick is a different formulation and has tallow (but not lanolin). They have physical items in Savers, but I'm not going to potentially risk my health for a soap.

Thats where I got this soap from incidentally. A savers store miles away from my home on a day trip so it could be a newer one. £2.29 I believe.

I have a bowl (or rather, "bol") and yes, I rather feel like it really should contain lanolin, it's so soft and feeding. Okay, what did you do?
I softened a tea spoon of lanolin so it was almost liquid and mixed it with the soap, I also left it out of the tub for a couple of weeks so it stiffened up somewhat.
I've played around with this soap quite a lot, I've added coconut oil and lanolin to it as well as EOs for a different scent but you could just stop at the lanolin if you wished. :) P.

That's what I would want to know as well! I thought Vitos could also be improved with a bit of lanolin as well.
Like Monsavon , Vitos is so inexpensive why not play around a little, lanolin, coconut oil, anything you may feel would improve the soap, leave it to cure with the extra ingredients and dry down a little and you may have something better than you started with! :) P.

Like Monsavon , Vitos is so inexpensive why not play around a little, lanolin, coconut oil, anything you may feel would improve the soap, leave it to cure with the extra ingredients and dry down a little and you may have something better than you started with! :) P.

I'll definitely give it a go! How would I go about adding a bit more of a scent to Vitos? A few drops of essential oil? Would it be best to mix into a carrier oil first?

I'll definitely give it a go! How would I go about adding a bit more of a scent to Vitos? A few drops of essential oil? Would it be best to mix into a carrier oil first?
Yes mix it in with the coconut or Olive oil first at about a 3% Ratio and then add to the mix, just be careful not to add too much of any oil be it coconut, olive oil or whatever takes your fancy because it will effect the lathering capabilitys of the soap but have fun and you will find out what works and what doesn't :) P.

Yes mix it in with the coconut or Olive oil first at about a 3% Ratio and then add to the mix, just be careful not to add too much of any oil be it coconut, olive oil or whatever takes your fancy because it will effect the lathering capabilitys of the soap but have fun and you will find out what works and what doesn't :) P.

3%? This is alchemy I tell you Paul.

I don't think I could handle this kind of precision, I'll end up a gloopy greasy mess of tallow funk, almond oil, bay rum oil on my face which won't lather.

3%? This is alchemy I tell you Paul.

I don't think I could handle this kind of precision, I'll end up a gloopy greasy mess of tallow funk, almond oil, bay rum oil on my face which won't lather.
The EOs you have to be careful with I've gone up to a 5% dilution but that would be the max, just start off with small changes and when you get a good result push the bounderys a littile untill it dosent work then you have an idea of what to do and what not to do. The soap is cheap, have a play! :) P.

@donnie_arko , just start with a little lanolin, you can't go wrong with that and then if you fancy on the next batch add something else like coconut oil and so on. It will be a little more wet so leave it out of the tub on a plate for two weeks to harden or cure and then try it out. :) P.

@donnie_arko , just start with a little lanolin, you can't go wrong with that and then if you fancy on the next batch add something else like coconut oil and so on. It will be a little more wet so leave it out of the tub on a plate for two weeks to harden or cure and then try it out. :) P.

That's great info, thanks. I've been meaning to pick up a tub of lanolin at some point and I'll proceed with the DIY blend (I'll buy some Monsavon as well, and do the same for that as well!).

A bit of necro bump.

I know there are some enthusiasts of shaving soaps that contain lanolin, and I've been using one which seems to go under the radar.

The Razorock WTP soaps contain glycerine and lanolin (no tallow, but 2 out of 3 isn't bad). These shaving soaps are a bit tricky to get hold off in the UK, but I have noticed the TGS Briarwood puck has a very similar list of ingredients (I presume they are made in the same factory)

I'm fairly sure the WTP soap I am using is triple milled, and it produces a nice lather. It's not up there with the best MWF lather, but a good enough enough one nonetheless.

This is the ingredients list of the Razorock WTP
Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Aqua, Parfum (Fragrance), Palm Kernel Acid, Glyceryl Caprylate Caprate, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter, Lanolin, Pentasodium Pentatate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Alpha Isomethylilonon, Benyzl Salicylate, Coumarin, Limonene, Linalool

And the TGS Briar Wood
Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Aqua, Parfum (Fragrance), Palm Kernel Acid, Glyceryl Caprylate Caprate, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter, Lanolin, Pentasodium Pentatate, Tetrasodium Etidronate.

Back
Top Bottom